Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) is one of the largest research and development (R&D) organization in the world devoted to Scientific and Technical Manpower Development in India. It has a network of 37 laboratories and 80 field stations spread all over India. These are engaged in cutting edge research activities covering a wide range of scientific disciplines.
1. CSIR-Advanced Materials and Processes Research Institute (AMPRI), Bhopal - 462 026 Development of low-cost/alternative building materials; natural resources database management and modelling studies on groundwater resources; Wasteland development using coal ash; Medicinal plants; Composite materials.
2. CSIR-Central Building Research Institute(CBRI), Roorkee - 247 667
Providing S & T back up to the problems of buildings & construction industries in the areas of housing; building materials; geotechnical & structural engineering.
3. CSIR-Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB), Hyderabad - 500 007
Biophysics & Biochemistry; Molecular Biology; genetics and evolution; biomedicines & biotechnology.
4. CSIR-Central Drug Research Institute (CDRI), Lucknow - 226 001
Development of contraceptives; new drugs for tropical diseases (malaria, filariasis, leishmaniasis); cardio-vascular and central nervous system disorders.
5. CSIR-Central Electrochemical Research Institute (CECRI), Karaikudi - 623 006
Batteries and power sources, electrochemical materials science, electrohydromettalurgy, electrochemical instrumentation.
6. CSIR-Central Electronics Engineering Research Institute(CEERI), Pilani - 333 031.
Microelectronics-LSI\VLSI circuits; Strategic electronics (Semiconductor Devices); Industrial electronics-Microprocessor and PC based control systems for sugar, tea, leather, dairy, pulp, paper, and textile industry; colour graphics and digital mapping systems; Museum Electronics-Audio-Visual systems and speech engineering.
7. CSIR-Central Food Technological Research Institute (CFTRI), Mysore - 570 013.
Development of food products and processes for optimal utilization of country’s agricultural produce; upgrading traditional food technology and development of appropriate technologies for reducing/eliminating post-harvest losses of perishables and durables; bioactive substances and food packaging.
8. CSIR-Central Glass and Ceramic Research Institute (CGCRI), Kolkata - 700 032.
Development of different varieties of optical glasses; electronic materials; low-cost building materials and bio-ceramics.
9. CSIR-Central Institute of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants (CIMAP), Lucknow 226 016.
Development of agrotechnologies for economically important medicinal and aromatic plants. Basic research in the area of phytochemistry; pathology; genetics, entomology and pharmacognosy.
10. CSIR-Central Institute of Mining & Fuel Research (CIMFR), Dhanbad-826001 (Jharkand).
To provide R&D inputs for entire coal-energy chain from mining to consumption.
It’s R&D thrust area include:
Mines safety; technology upgradation; environmental issues; alternative energy sources; perfecting ground control technology for tunneling & underground and caveras; optimising slope stability in open cost mines.
11. CSIR-Central Leather Research Institute (CLRI), Chennai - 600 020.
Modernisation of tanneries; development of environment friendly chemicals and technologies including enzymatic options, tannery and slaughter house by-products; waste water management; region-specific appropriate technologies.
12. CSIR-Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute (CMERI), Durgapur-715 209.
Design and development of mobile manipulators; robotics; deep-seabed mining systems; and reliability analysis of systems in atomic power plants.
13. CSIR-Central Road Research Institute (CRRI), New Delhi 110 020.
Pavement design and performance; road condition monitoring; maintenance planning and management; landslide management and hazard mitigation; deterioration and rehabilitation of bridges; transportation planning; traffic engineering road safety and environmental problems.
14. CSIR-Central Salt and Marine Chemical Research Institute (CSMCRI), Bhavnagar– 364 002.
Salt engineering; marine chemicals; desalination of brackish/saline water; marine algae; photo-inorganic chemistry and phytosalinity.
15. CSIR-Central Scientific Instruments Organisation (CSIO), Chandigarh -160 020.
Development of instruments for microelectronics; special defence needs; Development of analytical instrumentation.
16. CSIR-Indian Institute of Chemical Biology (IICB), Kolkata - 700 032.
Natural products of medicinal, biological and industrial value; development of innovative immunoassay techniques;
development of tissue-targeted drug-delivery system.
17. CSIR-Indian Institute of Chemical Technology(IICT), Hyderabad 500 007.
Development of technologies for pesticides, drugs, organic intermediates and fine chemicals.
18. CSIR-Indian Institute of Petroleum(IIP), Dehradun 248 005.
Petroleum refining technology; Separation Processes ; Catalytic reforming; Petroleum Products Applications; alternative fuels.
19. CSIR-Indian Institute of Integrative Medicine (IIIM), Jammu - 180 001
Natural products and organic chemistry; introduction, improvement and cultivation of medicinal and aromatic plants;
post harvest technology and applied microbiology and mutation genetics.
20. CSIR-Indian Institute of Toxicology Research (IITR), Lucknow - 226 001.
Neurotoxicology; environmental health; immunotoxicology and environmental biotechnology.
21. CSIR-Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology (IGIB), Delhi - 110 007.
Allergy and Immunology; diagnostics; genetic engineering; bio-organics and high tech reagents.
22. CSIR-Institute of Himalayan Bioresource Technology (IHBT), Palampur – 176 061.
Floriculture; tea sciences; biotechnology and natural plant products.
23. CSIR-Institute of Minerals and Materials Technology (IMMT), Bhubaneswar - 751 013
Mineral processing; extractive metallurgy; survey and cultivation of aromatic, medicinal and other economic plants.
24. CSIR-Institute of Microbial Technology(IMT), Chandigarh 160 031
Molecular biology and microbial genetics; animal cell/tissue culture and protein engineering.
25. CSIR-National Aerospace Laboratories (NAL), Bangalore -560 017
Aerospace electronics; High density acoustics; modelling of fluid flows; aircraft and missile aerodynamics.
26. CSIR-National Botanical Research Institute (NBRI), Lucknow - 226 001
Plant biotechnology; environmental sciences ; taxonomy and ethnobotany; plant molecular biology.
27. CSIR-National Chemical Laboratory (NCL), Pune - 411 008
Catalysis, biotechnology ; organic chemical technology. Basic research in chemistry and biochemistry.
28. CSIR-National Environmental Engineering Research Institute (NEERI), Nagpur- 440 020
National / societal missions on drinking water; environmental biotechnology; hazardous waste management; modelling
29. CSIR-National Geophysical Research Institute (NGRI), Hyderabad - 500 007
Seismology; geophysical exploration and geophysical instrumentation.
30. CSIR-National Institute of Oceanography (NIO), Goa - 403 004
International Geosphere-Bio-sphere programme; oceanographic studies of the Antarctic waters; marine biotechnology and technologies for rural development.
31. CSIR-National Institute of Science Technology and Development Studies (NISTADS), New Delhi-110 012
Mathematical modelling for S&T studies; information systems and S&T archival resources.
32. CSIR-National Institute of Science Communication and Information Resources (NISCAIR), New Delhi-110 012
Information services : Medicinal & Aromatic Plants Information Service (MAPIS); and Industrial Information Service:
Science Popularization. Design and development of S&T database; network-based online services; R&D in information science and technology.
33. CSIR-National Institute for Interdisciplinary Science & Technology, (NIIST), Thiruvananthapuram - 695 019
Ceramics, Alloy and Composites, polymers; Clays/Beach sand Minerals; Modelling & Simulations of Material Science;
Inorganic/ Analytical / Organic Chemistry
34. CSIR-National Metallurgical Laboratory (NML), Jamshedpur-831 007
Mineral benefaction; development ; processing and evaluation of alloys.
35. CSIR-National Physical Laboratory (NPL), New Delhi - 110 012
Measurements, standards and calibration; cryogenics and superconductivity; applied projects like thin films; underwater acoustic devices and nonconventional energy devices; Radio & Atmospheric Sciences.
36. CSIR-North-East Institute of Science & Technology, (NEIST), Jorhat - 785 006
Development of oil field chemicals; agrochemicals; drugs and drug intermediates; organic chemistry; bio-chemistry and geoscience.
37. CSIR-Structural Engineering Research Centre (SERC), Chennai - 600 113
Structural dynamics; experimental mechanics; structural concretes and concrete composites.